Today we recall his memory by implementing the project “Tyzenhauz Trail – creation of a tourist route to promote the cultural and historical heritage of two cities of Sokolka and Grodno” co-financed under the Cross-border Cooperation (CBC) Programme Poland-Belarus-Ukraine 2014-2020. Below the proverbial “pill” to get to know Antoni Tyzenhauz.
Antoni Tyzenhauz was born in 1733. From 1765 he was Treasurer of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and Grodno governor. In 1765-1780 he was the administrator of the Lithuanian, Grodno economics and the leader of the royal party in Lithuania. In royal estates, mainly in Grodno and neighboring towns – nearby Horodnica, and built about 50 manufactories, including cloth, hats, lace, glass, needles and playing cards, which employed over 1.8 thousand employees. Tyzenhauz put great merits in the field of science and education, establishing the Cadet Corps in Grodno in 1773, and in 1776 – the Royal Medical School and several vocational schools. During the period of his activity, a plan for the spatial reconstruction of Sokółka with a park and industrial complex was created. However, on the market Square he built 12 stone tenement houses, two of which have remained to this day and in one of the buildings the Sokolka Region Museum is located.